Hepatitis C Treatment in Tampa: An Overview of Our Care ProcessSeptember 26, 2022
National Coming Out Day Was This Month! Do You Know Its Origin Story?October 26, 2022
October isn’t just for Halloween. This month, we observe the history of gay rights and the related civil rights movements. Happy LGBTQ History Month!
It’s that time of year again. The weather is turning cooler (hopefully!), the days are getting shorter, and spooky season is upon us. It’s time to celebrate all things ghosts, goblins …and gays! That’s right, all month long, we honor and observe the history of the gay civil rights movement during LGBTQ History Month. Here’s what you need to know to hop on the celebration train.
Why Do We Celebrate LGBTQ History Month In October?
We all know that June is Pride Month when we acknowledge the 1969 Stonewall rebellion and all that has been accomplished to achieve equal justice and opportunity for LGBTQ Americans.
Although we’ve been celebrating Pride Month for over 50 years, it’s only been in the last couple of decades that it was made an official, federally-recognized observance.
LGBTQ History Month, on the other hand, was started in 1994 and is meant to commemorate the history and achievements of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
October was chosen to coincide with National Coming Out Day (October 11) and the anniversary of the first march on Washington for gay and lesbian rights in 1979. Other dates that have been added since its origin include the anniversary of Matthew Shephard’s murder (October 12), Ally Week, and Spirit Day (October 20).
How Do We Celebrate LGBTQ History Month?
Celebrations for LGBTQ History Month can be similar to those for Pride Month. You can find a list of Florida’s festivities here. Some highlights include:
- Equality Forum – Each day, a different LGBTQ community member will be highlighted. Check out the video below for a sneak peek at the honorees for 2022.
- Come Out With Pride Orlando Festival & Parade – This is a day-long celebration of National Coming Out Day with our LGBTQ community. When you’re watching the parade, look for us! Our Harmony Healthcare Orlando team will be participating in this fun event again this year. We will also have a tent in the festival area so be sure to stop by!
- The University of South Florida provides many opportunities to commemorate LGBTQ History Month on campus.
- Pride Paddle Parade – This aqua parade takes place on beautiful Lake Ivanhoe in downtown Orlando.
- Boo On Broadway – Find safe community trick-or-treating In Kissimmee with this free family-friendly event.
Many other events are happening around Florida, so hop online to find one near you, or host your own! We are looking forward to another fun and fabulous LGBTQ History Month!
And here’s a sneak peek at events on the calendar for Pride 2023!